Sunday, June 14, 2009

We got SCHOOLED!




When Brent and I bought a home, we knew nothing. We are willing to admit to that now. We just thought it would be fun to play grown-ups and buy a house. We moved in. We had a beautiful lawn with beautiful landscaping. But we didn't have enough furniture to fill the house. We didn't have any children to fill the house with either. We also had ugly blue carpet. And leftover cat smell. We took care of the carpet and cat smell (except for one lone bathroom that has a police "do not cross" tape criss-crossing the door.) We bought a lawn mower. Then we went on vacation for two weeks (in July.) Yes, we were idiots. We came home to a brown lawn, dead flowers and ugly weeds. So we got pregnant. And our lawn stayed brown, the flowers all but disappeared and the weeds got bigger and badder. Then we tore out that hideous black plastic trim that was lining the landscaping.............because it was hideous, and it was starting to show more and more (imagine that.) Then it rained, and rained and rained. There was a nice river flowing in our front yard by the end of that summer. Oops. We got a free trimmer/edger from a neighbor (I wonder if they were trying to tell us something?) I went to the Grass Pad for grass seed - they had FREE flyers just sitting around with FREE extremely valuable information on how to take care of your lawn (I think it was called the idiots guide............) I couldn't believe they were just handing out this AMAZING information for FREE! So we bought a spreader. And fertilizer. And all that other stuff. We got smarter. We watched the Daggs - if they did it - we did it. I sincerely apologize to all of our neighbors for our lawn those first 5 years. It did nothing for property values, I assure you.

So I checked out a book on landscaping and learned all about lawns and landscaping. And guess what? The landscaping isn't just there to look pretty! It has a real valuable purpose - one that if neglected will cost lots of money to fix. So Brent built me a retaining wall. We ripped out all the old plants and replaced them. We had a dirt lawn for awhile, until the grass started to grow in. Nearly 6 years later, our front lawn is back up to par. Finally. Brent works very hard to maintain his lawn and landscaping (I do the weeding.) He came in a few weeks ago and told me he was proud of his lawn - he thinks it looks very nice. While I am no big fan of pride - I think Brent deserves this one - it was a long hard process to bring our lawn and landscaping back to life - and we learned a lot! So I thought to myself, "I am so proud of Brent, he deserves special recognition - I know! I'll blog about it!" So I thought I would wait until right after a good rain (for peak coloring) and take a picture to add to the post. But then it also needed to be right after he mowed and trimmed, so that the grass would have that great pattern (peak texture.) I kept procrastinating. So to teach us one more lesson, some lovely fluffy and cuddly cute rabbit decided to burrow a nice large nest right in the middle of our front lawn. So if anyone finds a very dead, lovely fluffy and cuddly cute rabbit, we named it Dee. For defecation. Because that is essentially what he did to my husband's beautiful front lawn. So now that Brent and I have learned so much, spent so much time and money, COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL US HOW TO GET RID OF THOSE RABBITS??

3 comments:

The Hojnackes said...

Get a gun. Or borrow one of Dad's. That will get rid of them. But seriously, there were rabbits in the yard when we were younger. Would Dad know how?

Marie said...

I think shooting them is the only real answer. but you didn't hear it from me.

HTF said...

Guess you guys need Elmer Fudd and his shot gun prowling the yard!

My Boys

My Boys
I can't believe I got them standing together....and smiling!

Jack

Jack
We think he is soooo cute!