Wednesday, May 27, 2009

S.A.D. and a few of My Favorite Things

After reading a list of my sister-in-laws favorite things, I was inspired to make my own (please see adaptation below.) Unfortunately, I came to realize that I have SAD – seasonal affective disorder, a disease in which the seasons affect what exactly my favorites are. This is not to be confused with Seasonal Effective Disorder, in which the season determines how effective I am at completing my chores. Being Spring almost Summer – my favorite dessert, hands down, is strawberry shortcake. I could eat if for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (and all the snacks in between.) This is in direct conflict to a response I gave a few months ago – brownies and ice cream. It occurred to me this morning that fresh fruit is simply satisfying in the warmer temperatures, but chocolate never fails to warm the soul in the colder temps. I also suffer from SAD in regards to my favorite seasons, i.e., I love Spring in the Winter, I love Summer in the Spring and I look forward to those cool fall nights (that are perfect to camping) in the Summer. I will have to say that I NEVER love the winter. Like my sister-in-law, I too love the smell of freshly cut grass, but I’m not so sure I have that passion when it’s too cold for it to have grown, and in the summer when it is too hot and dry for it to not have grown. Then my favorite smell is grilling – hamburgers (sorry, but no hot dogs), vegetables. And also freshly picked tomatoes from the garden. I could go on and on, so:

My Favorite Things (an adaptation)

Pesto and Pasta and pink watermelon
Freshly cut grass and then spring’s flow’ring bushes
Amer-i-cone Dream from Ben & Jerry’s
These are a few of my favorite things

Kisses from Maxwell and warm choc’late brownies
Blake’s hugs and Jack’s hugs and snugglin’ with hubby
Tiff’nys blue boxes tied up with white ribbns
These are a few of my favorite things

‘Pride and Pre-ju-dice’ and weddings and Gucci
Piano Performance and classical music
Photos that capture the memries loved best
These are a few of my favorite things

When I miss Mom
When my kids hurt
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad.

1 comment:

The Hojnackes said...

It was all good until the last part. Then I cried.

My Boys

My Boys
I can't believe I got them standing together....and smiling!

Jack

Jack
We think he is soooo cute!