Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wow! Three boys....

So I have been pretty worried about taking care of three small children. I do only have two hands, after all. (Knock on wood) I am happy to report that so far it has been manageable. We, of course, haven't attempted to leave the house (all five of us), Brent has been home this entire time, and we haven't had to make a dinner for ourselves yet. I am anxious to see what Wednesday will bring, which will be the true test. I will be here, all by myself, with my three sons. I am trying to be optimistic about this. Hopefully by then Jack will have come to terms with when exactly he should be sleeping and when he shouldn't be!

I am glad that I got some good pictures of Maxwell that first day in the hospital. He isn't looking quite like himself these past few days. In all my wisdom (which translates to my "overanalyzing the situation") I decided that it would be good for my two oldest children to be involved in bringing the baby home from the hospital. Brent showed up with the boys at about 11:30, and we were just waiting to be discharged (signing a few papers, really.) They had been there about 2 whole minutes, when Maxwell managed to trip and fall, faceplanting right into the floor. He got up and was silently crying. You know, the kind where they are crying, but they are taking in such a huge breath of air that no sound has actually come out yet? I knew it was bad - and so I laid down the baby, picked up Maxwell (Brent had gone across the hall, btw) and tried to comfort him, as well as inspect his face for where he might be hurt. Fortunately, there was no bleeding, but his nose was swelling up fast. I figured he must have landed right on it and broken it. Jack was crying, Maxwell was crying (and Blake was obliviously watching Wall-e.) Brent came in to find us like this and I told him what had happened. He took Maxwell, I picked up Jack and started crying. We hadn't even left the hospital and already I was dealt a situation with two crying babies! So I called the pediatrician, and she said we should take him to Children's Mercy, which I understand, except that I was already at a hospital! Couldn't I just take him to the ER here? We called in my nurse next to ask her advice - and I think she was more worried that we might try to sue the hospital or something! Needless to say, Maxwell was seen at the ER there, and the diagnosis was just that he bruised it really badly (I still would've felt better if they had actually taken an x-ray.) At that point I realized my folly and sent Brent home with the boys. We had Anna babysit after school and Brent came to pick up Jack and I. It was not what I had planned....at all. Things went pretty well after that - except that Max has a hard time breathing through his nose. And every day his face looks worse and worse. He is almost unrecognizable behind the black eye, the bruised midface Le Fort and all the swelling. Poor guy. I don't even think I can bring myself to take a picture of it! It is so bad I seriously considered having him stay home from school and church because his appearance truly is shocking!

That was pretty much the most traumatic thing that has happened so far in our new adventure!

1 comment:

Anna said...

You are doing great! Just call us anytime you need some extra hands.

My Boys

My Boys
I can't believe I got them standing together....and smiling!

Jack

Jack
We think he is soooo cute!